Ken Houlahan and Ian Stewart securing the starter motor to the engine.
Shortly after the installation of the engine’s crankshaft, the team here at the National Museum got busy bolting on the auxiliary engine components with the aim of reuniting the vehicle’s engine to the newly treated chassis.
But before the engine is installed, we need to carry out a few leak tests and pressure tests.
Nathan Pharaoh, Large Technology Conservator and Prue Castles, Senior Objects Conservator examining damaged areas of paint on the Daimler body
Happy New Year.
Work is continuing on the Royal Daimler and we are hoping to provide more updates in the coming weeks. We have made progress with the engine and more detailed planning for work on the body is gearing up. Continue reading →
The much-awaited test fit of the crankshaft has happened. Ian Stewart has fitted it, checked and blueprinted the bearing oil clearances and the thrust clearance. All clearances have been set to standard Daimler specifications. The new main bearing has been line bored to suit these specifications. Continue reading →
The Royal Daimler Project might be over but the work and interest in car continues.
It was great to see so many members of the Daimler SP250 group at the Museum on Saturday. Travelling to Canberra from various parts of the east coast of NSW, all arrived to the Museums’ offsite campus in Mitchell to see the Museum’s Royal Daimler car.
The SP250 is a V8 sports model produced by Daimler between 1959 and 1964. According to Alan Hunt’s article in the book Travelling in Style Daimler and Lanchester and Australia, over one hundred SP250’s were imported into Australia. Continue reading →
In 2012, we set out to raise $60,000 by July 2014 for the Royal Daimler Project. It might have looked like a blue-sky target back then, but I am happy to say that due to the overwhelming support we have had from our Royal Daimler Conservation Partners, and all the Royal Daimler Project followers, we have not only reached our target, but we have exceeded our goal and have raised $61,863.80. Continue reading →